Monday, August 27, 2007

dusty's mum and other stars

of the art world.

I just found out that Caroline has curated this exhibition. And maybe even produced this artwork.

I bet the line sizes go funny now ...


The exhibition is about how artists engage with the art economy and yet position themselves as belonging to alternative cultures. It is also stars some other old friends of mine. So if you are in W-town go and have a look. I think it is called Territorial Pissings ... or something of that nature.


I personally think it is about fandom and diaristic self-expression. Maybe blogging is art. I like that this is about Kurt Cobain. It reminds me of Usti. I have been thinking about it a lot lately fan-hood. I am more of a fan of things now than I used to be. Part of being a late bloomer I guess ... [I am still waiting] ... I think I took fandom to lightly as a teen when you are supposed to have posters on the wall. Sure I liked, I obsessed over bands and possibly even slightly modelled myself on Morrissey, and I did dream about once. Only once. He climbed in my bedroom window and did my maths homework. I wasn't taking maths at the time.


Caroline is awesome, though I haven't seen her for years. Last year I say a one woman show that was created from verbatim stories told by women and girls. Dusty's story was the best.


I sometimes imagine myself as an artist, probably a conceptual artist or an installation maker. People say I have an artistic temperament. A polite way to say moody, is it not? Instead I am a social scientist. Which is really somewhat of a surprise to me. Perhaps my artform is not making decisions about stuff like careers, but just getting buffeted along by ... insert set of beliefs here.

After all every life, is a narrative told by ourselves to ourselves ... are we our only listeners? Is that a wise question to ask in the blogosphere? We make sense, and tidy away the loose edges. Look at what I have just done. I just told you I am a social scientist, which is a short hand description of all the accidental falling into paths that led to here. So Luc Sante was cleverly right in a sneaky kind of way saying that humans are really just 'factories of facts'.


I had something else to blog about from last week's adventures in the 'Grad with AbD . We didn't get to Noir as our night was ruined by someone else's hair cut ... but that's another story.

No comments: