Sunday, April 08, 2007

Vegas! .... well kinda

It is holiday time again, and the same battle between the police and garden centres is raging up and down the country. Apparently Gardening For Jesus is not an option ... though Smacking your Kids is a truly Christian thing to do ... Go figure ...

Anyways so it is the season of road trips again, and I headed out with Br and his Girlfriend to the second hand shopping mecca that is Wanga-Vegas ... hometown, but not birthplace of the Marvellous K. We stopped first in Marton, a pretty little town with a dark underbelly. It has the highest suicide rate in the country. We stopped in at a second hand hall to hone our skills for the bargains that awaited us further along the line. P bought a cute little skillet to heat seeds and nuts, and perhaps create the occasional frittata-for-one... I discovered we were also at the site of Rangitikei Country Music Club ... which may or may not be implicated in the aforementioned suicide statistic.


Perhaps, this perceived link explains, the demure, if not covert decoration of their hall.

Onwards, to the mighty Whanganui river, and out to the fallen down suburb with river views to behold the savemart, the largest I had ever seen, and with a carpark full of late model 4 wheel drives. Inside, we were the only neo hipster kids, the rest were poor and mainly brown, which suggests that the income is going into feeding the gas guzzlers outside. Anyways, we came a way with a bargain or two. I was especially pleased with a vintage navy silverdale cardigan with leather knot buttons ... in fact I am wearing it now. Five dollars well spent.

I am succumbing to nostalgic dressing once, again. Jeans white t and a cardigan takes me back to undergraduate days making melting polystyrene cups into "sculptures" and avoiding class.

In other clothing related news, I had to bid farewell to my two favourite pairs of underwear this week. One was given to me be the lovely E, and date from her reporting days... What makes us so attached to our clothes? Why are we ... perhaps men in particular ... reluctant to part with our ragged but loved favourites? Is it some identity we have invested in these vestments. Is throwing out the ragged-edged t or beloved undies the same as euthenazing a pet, or is it just the hassle of replacement, the awkwardness of shopping at the mall, and in my case buying new underwear off a young client?

1 comment:

Tallulah Wolfenstein said...

Gosh are those undies still going? Well I guess not.

Will have to get you some more. I still have some from the first London days... Satin really lasts. But can you get men's undies in satin? I will look.

This may have to wait until we have moved to Melbourne in eight weeks.